Characteristics of a Wedding Saree Design
– Wedding saree: an ancestral tradition
– Characteristics of a wedding saree design
– Wedding sarees: where to buy them and for what budget?
The sari is a garment with a millennial history, so much so that representations of it can be found dating back to about 100 BC.
In addition to this fantastic longevity, it is still worn daily by many women and men in India and shows a great diversity in the ways of draping it. This technique can vary according to religions, regions, castes or activities of each.
Far from being exclusively reserved for everyday life, it can also be worn on important occasions such as the wedding day. Zoom on the wearing of the sari for her wedding.
Wedding sari: an ancestral tradition
The sari is a wide strip of fabric whose dimensions are 1.20 m wide and 5 to 10 meters long.
Note: a sari is always made in one piece, in line with Hindu beliefs. It is usually worn over a bodice and petticoat while leaving the belly bare.
In India, depending on the colors and patterns used, a sari can have many symbolic values. Among the most used colors we find;
– The white worn by widows because it is the color of mourning but also priests or Brahmins.
– The blue worn by the caste of farmers and craftsmen.
– The yellow and saffron more particularly appreciated to show its religiosity.
– The red which remains the most used during weddings. It also shows a sign of belonging to the caste of nobles or warriors.
These traditional colours can be enhanced with different patterns that also have a specific symbolism:
– The parrot represents seduction or passion.
– The stylized mango is a sign of abundance and fertility.
– The elephant is an allegory of power, royalty and power as well as fertility and water.
– The conch, which is a shell, refers to the sound emanating from Hindu deities.
Characteristics of a wedding saree design
In India and Sri Lanka, the sari is usually worn only by married women. Thus, wearing it on the D-day reveals a real rite of passage.
The materials used to make this piece of fabric are varied and we can find;
– pure or wild silk;
– linen, satin;
– crepe, velvet
– tulle, lace.
It is quite possible to order a custom-made model to benefit from one or two bustiers:
– perfectly fitting the upper body;
– embroidered with stones;
– one in a color matching the sari and the other in a contrasting color.
Please note: depending on the size and options chosen, prices may be higher.
In addition, wedding sarees can be customized with many accessories such as:
– necklaces, earrings, rings;
– Henna tattoos;
– forehead jewelry or crowns;
– a veil in the hair.
Wedding sarees: where to buy them and for what budget?
Saris and accessories for a wedding ceremony can be purchased;
– on the Internet;
– in specialized stores;
– directly in India.
Good to know: when buying on the Internet, it is recommended to try on a model in a store before getting professional advice.
The price depends on the quality and the additions you wish to see on the sari. The average budget varies from;
– $200 to $300 for a model including the sari, a bustier and an underskirt.
– More than $300 for a custom-made sari.
Please note: it is possible to order a sari without clothing, ready-to-wear or custom-made.
Hope you like this post. Remember to leave your comments below.